Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ljungberg Lights Up San Jose


Designated Player Freddie Ljungberg played wonderfully Wednesday night. The Swedish forward/midfielder dominated the match, scoring a beautiful goal – his first in a Fire uniform – and providing two assists in 90 minutes of action.

“I felt great,” Ljungberg told MLSsoccer.com after the match. “My teammates played really well, they made me look good, so I thank them. And, of course, I’m quite happy with my performance.”

Ljungberg’s goal was particularly well worked. Winger Patrick Nyarko fed the former Seattle player streaking just outside the 18 in the 72nd minute. The World Cup vet took a fabulous first touch, splitting two San Jose defenders to get into the left side of the area, then put an audacious left-footed chip past ‘keeper Jon Busch and inside the far post.

Performances like Wednesday night’s will have Fire fans clamoring for Ljungberg, a fan of head coach Carlos de los Cobos’ attacking style of play, to pick up his player option and return to Chicago in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment